Welcome to Domaine Franey Wines & Spirits - Where Great Taste Begins - Free Delivery to the Hamptons

Occhipinti Il Frappato 2014

$44.99

SKU 15534

750ml

Share
Long known as a blending grape, Frappato, in the hand of Arianna Occhipinti, becomes an extraordinary wine. 70% of the wine is macerated for 2 months on its skins, while the other 30% stayed on its skins for 8 months.
Category Red Wine
Varietal
Country Italy
Region Sicily
Brand Occhipinti
Alcohol/vol 13%
  • wa93

Wine AdvocateArianna Occhipinti has outdone herself with the 2014 Il Frappato. This is a wine of character and personality. It flaunts those slightly rustic edges with charm and confidence. The bouquet opens to ripe blueberry, raspberry and dried cassis. The quality of fruit shows good integrity and balance. You don't notice any of the raw or unclean smells you sometimes get with wines made in such a natural and non-interventionist approach. The nose is pristine. In the mouth, Il Frappato delivers vibrant acidity and snappy fruit flavors. More than any other wine, this vintage and this producer can claim to have produced something close to a Pinot Nero with an all-Sicilian soul.

Monica Larner, August 2016
  • we91

Wine EnthusiastThis earthy red opens with funky but appealing aromas of tilled soil, crushed black olive and ripe berry. The juicy, medium-bodied palate provides crunchy tart red cherry, succulent raspberry, ground pepper, energizing mineral and a gamey note. Ripe tannins and bright acidity provide the framework.

Kerin O'Keefe, August 1, 2016